Vein clinics are medical centers specializing in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of vascular problems, i.e., disorders related to the veins, such as spider veins, varicose veins, and chronic venous insufficiency. Vein clinics diagnose and treat the root cause of your vein problems and remove the superficial spider veins and varicose veins. However, you must find a reliable vein clinic that provides comprehensive vein care for the root cause of your vein problems rather than just cosmetic treatments.
Generally speaking, most vein clinics diagnose and treat conditions caused by chronic venous insufficiency, the root cause of most vein problems. Chronic venous insufficiency is a medical condition wherein your vein valves collapse. In healthy veins, the valves act as one-way doors that facilitate smooth blood circulation to the heart, resisting gravitational force. When your vein valves collapse, blood flows backward and accumulates in the leg veins, leading to vascular dilation and a series of escalating symptoms.
The following is an overview of the conditions that vein clinics may treat:
- Leg Heaviness: If your legs feel extremely heavy and achy, especially at the end of the day or after long periods of sitting or standing, you may have underlying vein disease.
- Restless Leg Syndrome: This is a condition wherein you have an insatiable urge to move and shake your legs, especially at the end of the day or after long periods of inactivity. This is often caused by chronic venous insufficiency.
- Frequent Leg Cramps: Most people experience muscle cramps (sudden involuntary muscle contractions) once in a while. However, if you experience frequent leg cramps at the end of the day or after long periods of sitting, you may have underlying venous insufficiency.
- Leg Swelling: This is a condition wherein your lower legs and ankles are swollen because of the accumulation of blood or fluids in your leg veins. Treating chronic venous insufficiency can alleviate persistent leg swelling.
- Spider Veins: These are dense clusters of reddish blood vessels that appear just underneath your skin’s surface, usually resembling spider webs. They’re often caused by underlying vein disease, and they can be treated with sclerotherapy.
- Varicose Veins: These are large blood vessels that bulge out of your skin’s surface in a tangled and twisted form resembling tree branches. They’re indicative of advanced chronic venous insufficiency, the root cause of most vein problems.
- Leg Ulcers: Lack of proper blood circulation in your legs prevents wounds from healing effectively, leading to non-healing leg wounds (ulcers) on your skin’s surface.
- Deep Vein Thrombosis: Untreated chronic venous insufficiency may eventually lead to blood clots in the leg veins. Besides being painful, deep vein thrombosis is extremely dangerous. The blood clots may break and travel to the lungs, leading to a potentially fatal pulmonary embolism.
Our spider vein and varicose vein treatment centers in California specialize in minimally invasive treatments for spider veins and varicose veins. We always diagnose the root cause of your vein problems to curate personalized vein treatment plans just for you. If you have the signs and symptoms of vein disease, please schedule an appointment at your nearest vein treatment clinic in San Diego or San Jose, CA.