What Happens After Laser Spider Vein Treatment?
What happens after laser spider vein treatment?
Laser spider vein treatment, also known as laser therapy, is one of the most popular procedures to treat spider veins. During laser therapy, the cosmetic technician channels laser energy into the spider veins. The laser energy, which is absorbed by the spider veins’ walls, gradually shrinks the spider veins, facilitating their eventual metabolism by the body. Over time, the spider veins dissipate and fade away from the skin’s surface and improve your leg’s overall appearance. Laser spider vein treatment is an extremely simple, non-invasive treatment.
But laser therapy isn’t the most effective spider vein treatment. It can certainly remove or reduce the visibility of extremely small spider veins on the skin’s surface. But it can’t treat larger spider veins, diagnose the root cause of your vein problems, or guarantee results. Patients undergoing laser spider vein treatment have a high risk of spider vein recurrence. That’s because laser therapy is often performed by cosmetic technicians, especially in medical spas, who don’t have the skills and training to diagnose and treat the root cause of spider veins.
Below, we describe what happens after laser spider vein treatment.
Laser spider vein treatment is a non-invasive procedure that involves minimal post-treatment side effects. Your facial skin might look a little red and sunburned, and you may experience mild swelling and discomfort. Some patients also notice mild swelling and bruising around the treatment areas for a few days. That’s completely normal. But the side effects aren’t painful or dramatic enough to necessitate downtime. You can resume most of your daily activities immediately after your laser spider vein treatment.
- Apply cold compress on the treatment areas to reduce swelling. You can use 4 x 4 gauze pads that are moistened with water. But frozen packs are not recommended.
- Avoid hot baths, massages, and strenuous workouts for a few days.
- Apply 30–50 SPF sunscreen whenever you step outside for at least one month.
- Avoid tanning beds after the laser spider vein treatment.
- Avoid makeup if the treatment site becomes scaly after the application of makeup.
- Keep the treated areas covered with antiseptic gauze to minimize the risk of infection.
- Resume your daily activities and work immediately after the treatment.
- Return for a follow-up session after about three weeks.
Results: Onset & Longevity
Spider laser vein treatment produces cumulative results over multiple sessions. The results will gradually improve over several weeks as you undergo additional laser therapy sessions. You should space the sessions 3 to 6 weeks apart for optimal results. The treatment should be continued at regular intervals until the spider veins are removed completely. However, laser therapy leads to a high risk of recurrence, which would necessitate another procedure.
Sclerotherapy: the better alternative to laser spider vein treatment
Sclerotherapy is widely considered the best spider vein treatment available. During sclerotherapy, the vein doctor carefully injects a sclerosant medicine into the spider veins to irritate their walls, turning them into hardened tissues gradually metabolized by the body. Each sclerosant injection effectively removes one spider vein, so the total number of injections depends on your unique conditions. Sclerotherapy doesn’t involve any downtime, so you can resume your daily activities and work immediately after treatment. It must be performed by highly-skilled vein doctors.
- Minimally invasive procedure
- Only involves a few injections
- Effectively removes all spider veins
- Suitable for all spider veins and small varicose veins
- Much more effective and reliable than laser therapy
- No harsh side effects or complications
- Minimal risk of spider vein recurrence
- No post-treatment downtime
Sclerotherapy involves minimal side effects. You may experience mild redness, swelling, tenderness, discomfort, and bruising around the injection points. The spider veins will initially become darker and harder because they’ll turn into scar tissues. However, after a few days or weeks, the spider veins will gradually fade away from the skin’s surface. The risk of skin discoloration and harsh side effects is negligible.
- Wear ACE bandages for 24 hours to ensure optimal recovery.
- Wear compression stockings for a few days to prevent blood accumulation in leg veins.
- Avoid heavy lifting and strenuous workouts for a few days.
- Avoid direct sunlight for a few days.
- Apply 30–50 SPF sunscreen whenever you step outside.
- Keep the treatment areas protected.
- Follow the vein doctor’s guidelines accurately.
Results: Onset & Longevity
The results of sclerotherapy gradually appear over 3 weeks. Up to 90% of your spider veins will disappear after about 3 weeks. Most patients need one or two sessions to remove all the spider veins, but the total number of sessions depends on the number of spider veins on your body. The results are permanent — the same spider veins can’t come back. However, you may develop new spider veins if your vein doctor doesn’t diagnose and treat underlying vein disease, the root cause of spider veins and varicose veins.
Endovenous laser treatment: the best option for people with chronic venous insufficiency
Endovenous laser treatment, also known as endovenous laser ablation, is the best minimally invasive treatment for patients with chronic venous insufficiency. During endovenous laser treatment, the vein doctor inserts a specialized catheter with a laser fiber into the diseased saphenous vein under ultrasound guidance. Once the endovenous laser is lodged in place, the vein doctor activates it to generate laser energy and destroy the diseased vein, rerouting the accumulated blood into healthier leg veins. This procedure addresses the root cause of your vein problems.
CA Vein Doctors
Meet our team of California Vein Treatment Specialists
Vein Treatments are covered by most major medical insurances, including Medicare. Call us today to verify your insurance for FREE >
Speak instantly with one of our team members; they will answer any questions you may have regarding insurance coverage, booking an appointment and our vein treatment locations. (858) 800-8772
Visit our Book Appointment page and instantly request an appointment at the California vein Tretment. We offer Free Insurance Verification before your appointment.
Learn how to get to one of our California vein centers in San Diego & San Jose